Friday, March 30, 2012

A BRAIN FART by Miss Fanny: PLASTIC PLEASURES?

The other day I hit a light pole with my car, and I was pissed, especially since I was trying to be safe by looking to my right to make sure no cars were coming down this one way driveway before I turned left to leave the parking lot. Little did I know that while I drove slowly looking right, ready to gun the engine and turn left, my car had drifted toward the light pole that I thought that I had cleared on my right.  I stepped on the pedal and BAM!  My left bumper hit the light pole.
It wasn’t a major accident. I couldn’t have been going more than 5-10 miles an hour, if that.  My air bag didn’t deploy.  I wasn’t hurt.  I was more surprised than anything, and although I knew that I had scarred the bumper of my brand new car, I didn’t even bother to get out to see the damage. I figured that I’d look at it when I got home.  It couldn’t be that bad.  I was just hurt that my new car didn’t look new anymore.
As I had suspected, the paint was rubbed off of my bumper and there was a small gash above it. I figured that I could pay for the damage out of pocket and not contact my insurance company. It couldn’t be more than the $500 deductible that I’d have to pay anyway.  Well, was I in for a surprise! By the time the estimate came back to me it was over $3,000.  All I could do was laugh. Was this a joke?  I discovered quickly that it was not.
What I found out was that the car that I was driving was the joke.  It was explained to me that the cars these days were made out of plastic and the thing that I called a bumper really wasn’t a bumper. They don’t make many cars with bumpers anymore.  Cars made out of steel were a thing of the past.  The man at the Collision Center told me that:  “Everything is plastic these days.”
Later I thought about what he said and realized that he was absolutely right.  I’ve lived long enough to be driving a plastic car, put my groceries in plastic shopping bags, drink my milk and juice out of plastic jugs, which I pour into plastic cups. I can eat off of plastic dishes, with plastic knives and forks.  The toys that I buy for my great-grandchildren are all plastic and most of the purchases that I make are made with a plastic credit card.   Just about everything around me these days that is manmade is made out of plastic and worst of all, every day I speak to plastic people who show no emotions for others, and things are not getting better.
Usually I try to get too serious in these little messages that I write, but I can’t find one thing amusing about what’s happened.  As I watch my great-grandchildren and their friends sit before plastic computer screens every day for hours with little human interaction, I can only see things growing worse.  Real is becoming a thing of the past, and pretty soon that will become a plastic memory.  Lord am I grateful to have lived in that past, because you see a plastic world just is not for me.   Now you can muse on that.


No comments:

Post a Comment